I make this less sweet chocolate banana bread all the time just for me, but sometimes I just want more of a cake like feel for making for other people – not everyone wants no sweetener! This one is still not too sweet, but not unsweet – and more cakey! A lightly sweet, chocolate banana cake that I’ve made so many times to get right and I think its PERFECT! There are lots of banana breads on the internet, it’s not revolutionary but this one is oat flour which we love, can be gluten and dairy free for whoever needs that, and is perfect to me! Enjoy!
Chocolate Banana Cake
An easy, oat flour light and sweet chocolate banana bread. Less sweet than most banana bread but sweeter than my usual of just bananas. For when you want a sweeter option!
Servings: 8 slices
- 4 medium size bananas ripe if you can!
- 3 oz coconut oil butter also works
- 3 oz honey or maple syrup
- 6 oz oat flour or just ground oats!
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 extra banana optional: to slice on top
- 1/4 cup chocolate chunks optional
- 1 oz cocoa
- 2 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C
- Peel the bananas into a medium sized bowl and mash them well with a form (then compost the peels if you can!)
- Melt the coconut oil and honey together on a low heat then pour them into the mashed banana with the vanilla. Mix them with a fork.
- Add in the eggs and whisk to combine everything. It won't be fully smooth because of the bananas, that's ok.
- If you have whole oats, grind them down then add all the dry ingredients bar the chocolate chunks to the bowl and stir them in until you have a well combined batter.
- Pour the batter into a large (5" x 10") lined loaf pan then slice the extra banana and place it cut side up, on top of the batter.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chunks over the top and place in the oven.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until the cake has risen, and it's just springy to the touch in the centre.
- Allow it to cool partially in the tin then remove and place on a cooling rack.
- Store for 2-3 days in a sealed container in the fridge.