Our Favourite Beef Chili
Cost: $15+ depending largely on beef cost!
- 2/3 cup each, finely diced celery, carrot, white onion
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 lb high quality grass fed beef
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos/tamari/soy sauce
- 1/2 bottle white wine you can also use beer
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp oregano optional, I honestly often leave this out!
- 2-3 tbsp honey
- 1/4-1/2 tsp ground chipotle peppers another one I often leave out to simplify!
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes optional
- 15 oz fire roasted tomatoes (one can)
- 15 oz chopped tomatoes (one can)
- 3 tbsp tomato puree or ketchup
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- to taste salt and pepper
- 30 oz pre soaked, sprouted and cooked pinto beans
In an extra large skillet or deep saucepan sauté the mirepoix and garlic in olive oil over a low heat. Stir them regularly until they are soft and the onions are translucent. Turn up the heat to medium high and add in the beef, stirring until the beef is browned.
Turn down the heat again and stir in the aminos and apple cider vinegar. Next deglaze the pan with 1/2 bottle of the white wine, scraping up all the bits that are stuck to the bottom of the pan.
Finally add in all other ingredients (except the beans), with the stock and stir it all together. Then cover the pot with a lid, make sure the heat is on low and then cook it all down on that low heat until everything is soft and the flavours have come together. About 1 hour. After an hour add in the beans, taste, season to taste and cover for another 15 minutes or until you are ready to serve.
We top our bowls with grated raw cheddar, chopped cilantro, and avocado slices and eat it with wedges of Paleo Corn Bread.